Sunday 1 April 2007

Largs: Plastic Wimpy


Next morning it was over the hills to Largs, an old-fashioned and beautifully located seaside town basking in an until-now rare day of Scottish sunshine.

Shame about the Wimpy. It was again trapped inside an amusement arcade (though one with an excellent air hockey table). Like Dingwall, we had to wait for it to open. Unlike Dingwall, it wasn't worth the wait.

Half of the options on the illuminated board were papered over. When the food came, we were served up kebab shop-style chips in anonymous packaging and burgers in anonymous wraps. Had it not been for the Wimpy-branded paper cups, you would hardly have known you were eating in Britain's premier homegrown burger chain. There weren't even any Wimpy serviettes, for heaven's sake.

Chicken in a bun for me, quarterpounder with cheese for Stu. One-and-a-half from both of us for this unsatisfying Wimpy experience.

1 comment:

the tiny 1 said...

Well, what do you expect from Largs... It's not the most upmarket of Ayrshire towns it has to be said! (Even if it does have a Wimpy Bar.) That said my opinion is not based on much evidence,as my "Trips to Largs Count" currently stands at a measly one. I take it you were not fortunate enough to visit the renowned (by those in the know) niteclub worryingly named Fiddlers, complete with mirrored ceiling and "no house key", policy? Apparently it could be a weapon...

My favourite moment of the trip didn't actaully occur there however, it was in a rival food establishment to the Wimpy crown. I went for a swift half in a bar which offered cauliflour pakora on its menu. I didn't partake due to poor spelling. You wouldn't get that in Wimpy.

Do they cater for vegies?

Hope the crawl is going well. Can I suggest that you complete the rest in either fancy dress or tie together in a three-legged fashion?

Rhona x

p.s. I have some great monkey pics I'll give to Morven so that you can see